13 Oct 2015

NONE OF YOUR BEESWAX (lol)...

Most furniture polishes contain petrochemicals and solvents that can be accidentally ingested, or inhaled and can make your family quite ill. Angelic Cleaning Services in Port Hedland WA, prefer to use non-toxic polishes and cleaners when cleaning your home. Read on...

Of all the possible recipes available, the one I like using the most is one for Furniture Polish. You see, I really hate chemicals, and I am on a mission to find replacements for as many of our toxic household substances as possible. And a non-toxic wood furniture and floor polish is a great thing to have handy when you have a young family. The problem with many conventional polishes is that they are often loaded with chemicals that can cause immediate reactions or possibly long term health issues.

On the National Library of Medicine’s website, furniture polish poisoning can cause dizziness, vomiting, and rapidly lowered blood pressure if the substance is ingested. It can also cause skin burns and vision loss if it comes into contact with your skin or eyes. Not a pretty picture. The problem with furniture polish is that although it can contain lovely oils and waxes that help hydrate and protect the wood, it often contains petrochemicals and other solvents that may even be accidentally ingested or can evaporate into the air that you inhale. So even if you don’t swallow the stuff and you don’t get it into your eyes you are still being affected by the fumes.

Most people do not realise that you can use natural oils and wax to refresh your wooden surfaces. About Beeswax: If you have a local farmer's market check and see if there is a honey vendor. Even if they don't have beeswax there for sale (most don't) just ask them. You might even get lucky and have a big ol' bag handed to you for free. I'm sure there are online places to buy beeswax too but I've never had to get it that way. About Oils: Organic jojoba oil has a long shelf life so a bottle will last a very long time without going rancid. Plus, there is no allergy risk when using Jojoba, unlike using walnut oil.

Olive oil and coconut oil are other options if jojoba oil isn't local or affordable where you are. And walnut oil is perfectly great too if you know your family does not have a nut allergy. I do not include mineral oil (although it is perfectly safe to use) simply because it is a petroleum product and not appropriate for toys and furniture labeled as eco-friendly. About Storage: Store it in an airtight container, away from direct sunlight. Jojoba oil based polish will last for two years while olive oil will last one year. If you don't think you will use your polish very fast and are worried it will go rancid, store it in the refrigerator, this doubles the shelf life. Maintaining your wooden surfaces does take a lot of time and effort.

So if you would like more information or have any further questions, why not give Glory a call on 0481 259 560 to drop by and give you a quote.